Calling all Girls in Tech Boise Lego-istas! WE NEED YOUR HELP!
FIRST Lego League competition is in need of volunteers for their competition to be held on December 12th, 2009 at Mountain View High School.
They are anticipating 500 participants and coaches, so it will be a hopping event!
What is the FIRST Lego League (FLL) you ask? It is a program that is designed to introduce younger students to real-world engineering challenges by building LEGO-based robots to complete tasks on a thematic playing surface. FLL teams, guided by their imaginations and adult coaches, discover exciting career possibilities and, through the process, learn to make positive contributions to society.
Students get to:
- Design, build and program robots using LEGO MINDSTORMS technology
- Apply real-world math and science concepts
- Research challenges facing today's scientists
- Learn critical thinking, team-building and presentation skills
- Participate in tournaments and celebrations
Not only is this a fantastic opportunity, the number of FLL Robotics teams has TRIPLED from last year! They had 17 teams at last year's competition and they are expecting to have 50 teams sign up this year. So they are really going to need an army of volunteers this year! This is where all of you Girls in Tech Boise gals come in...
Volunteer Spots Needed:
- 14 Technical Judges time commitment 8-4 (an Engineering or Science background is helpful, but not required)
- 14 Referees time commitment 8-4 (need to be able to stand most of the day and some refereeing knowledge is helpful, but not required)
- 14 Presentation Judges time commitment 8-4 (no special skills needed, but presentation experience is helpful)
- 14 Teamwork Judges time commitment 8-4 (no special skills needed)
- 30 Registration, Runners and other support staff will be needed through out the day
If you are interested in helping out and being a part of this truly great opportunity, please contact Candace Sweigart at firstname.lastname@example.org. Let's band together and show these young impressional students what Women who work with and love technology can do for our community!
Oh - and the wonderful folks at TechBoise are also looking to recruit volunteers as well. Let's parter with our techie buddies at TechBoise and make this event a huge success.